SOUTH ISLAND NEW ZEALAND is our destination today.
With the bigger landmass of New Zealand, the South Island is famous for its majestic landscapes with wonderful glaciers, mountains.
Although you may be questioning now: “What’s the distinction between the two islands?” Properly.
In my view, the North Island holds a better deal of Maori tradition while the South is predominant. Various actions seem in your bucket list.
To make it hassle-free, following things best suits your journey within New Zealand.
Step into Fiordland National Park of South Island New Zealand
Fiordland National Park is a well-known UNESCO World Heritage site.
I myself visited Milford through a scenic cruise witnessed the Mitre Peak in distance with two waterfalls: Girl Bowen, Stirling.
Although the reality is advised, en path to Milford Sound with Wild Kiwi, we needed to make so many stops alongside the way in which as a result of the encircling terrain was simply far too breathtaking — you’ll perceive what I imply while you get to this nationwide park your self!
Discover Marlborough Sounds
Discovered on the northern finish, the Marlborough Sounds is a group of historic sunken river valleys that you simply want to incorporate in your things to do in South Island!
Some famous ones do Queen Charlotte Monitor, driving the French Go, swimming with dolphins, cruise across the Marlborough Sounds.
Expertise natural spas
The North Island also has geothermal spas. However, the South Island has its personal specialties too, particularly.
- Welcome Flat Sizzling Swimming pools: It takes a little bit of a hike by Copland Monitor to achieve this place however you’ll certainly be rewarded by beautiful alpine views alongside the path — to not point out, you’ll have the swimming pools on the finish to get pleasure from that really vary in temperature and might accommodate as much as 10 to 12 individuals.
- Hanmer Springs Thermal Swimming pools: It is a thermal pool complicated that’s a straightforward 90-minute drive from Christchurch! An incredible place, a number of pools to get pleasure; to sulfur pools, water jets, rock pools and more!
- Franz Josef Glacier Sizzling Swimming pools: After a day of mountain climbing, reward your self with a soothing dip within the Franz Josef Glacier Sizzling Swimming pools. This opens till 9 PM; select to soak in one of the three primary pools, varies from 36 to 41 levels.
- Onsen Sizzling Swimming pools: If you’d like one thing boutique and splendid, the Onsen Sizzling Swimming pools in Queenstown shall be your finest wager. A view assures at all times with its excessive cliffside location of the Shotover canyon.
Famous for its wildlife and sea assets, Kaikoura, the best vacation spot for those who search for superb fishing expertise! So with a particular tour, I counsel hopping on board a ship to enterprise out to Kaikoura’s fishing grounds.
Relaxation assured you’ll be with an educated captain who won’t solely educate you the right way to fish; however, who can even inform you concerning the city’s well-known crayfish/lobsters.
It would be easy with the electrical reels that enable us to snap pictures to commemorate the affair! (You possibly can even be fortunate and end up swarmed by dolphins or seals whereas out within the sea!).
By the tip of the tour, select to launch your catch again or bagged them to cook dinner
Go up high
Hence the journey and landscapes admiring New Zealand excessively are essential among the things to do in South Island!
- Sky diving: Dive with highly-trained tandem skydiving instructors and free fall from 1000’s of toes within the air — it’s positive to be an expertise that can depart you speechless (and also you’ll even get to go dwelling with bragging rights!).
- Gondola Experience: For much less thrilling expertise, you may also get 360-degree panoramic views of the South Island by taking a gondola experience, and so far, you may both do that in Queenstown or Christchurch.
- Sizzling Air Balloon Experience: Even though you like one thing a bit distinguishable but nevertheless enjoyable, choose to do a dawn scorching air balloon experience over Queenstown in the aim to see the Southern Alps and Lake Wakatipu in its golden glory. Perhaps, it may include a champagne breakfast containing pastries, fruits, and tasty drinks.
Do you know that New Zealand invented Bungy jump? you can perform Bungy jump in the following locations of south island Newzealand.
- Kawarau Bridge Bungy: That is stated to be the world’s 1’s t business Bungy jump the place you get to leap 43 meters off from the Kawarau Bridge. If you wish to share the fun, you may also have a tandem Bungy jump with a pal!
- Nevis Bungy: That is New Zealand’s highest Bungy jump because it stands 134 meters over the Nevis River — as such, you’re positive to have this as a treasured reminiscence!
- The Ledge Bungy: With this exercise, you may jump above Queenstown. Hence there’s a full-body harness, you have the liberty to select or may invent freestyle you’re personal!
It’s much like doing a Bungy jump and you can perform in the following locations of New Zealand.
- Nevis Swing: This isn’t for the faint-hearted as a result of you’ll stand 160 meters above the Nevis River, after which you’ll drop to swing throughout the canyon at 120kph! With 300m arcs, you may turn ahead. Backward, in tandem, or ‘back2back’. Both means, they have a ‘Leap Menu’ so that you can select from to double the enjoyable!
- The Ledge Swing: Very like The Ledge Bungy, that is situated on the prime of Queenstown’s Skyline Gondola, and it’ll set you flying 400 meters throughout and over Queenstown!
There are numerous things to do in the south island that can allow you to undergo exhilarating but fast expertise.
- Luge: Considerably of a mixture between a go-kart (without the engine) and a toboggan (without the snow), “Luge” is an enjoyable and fast-paced journey exercise in Queenstown that’s nice for individuals of all ages! I loved this a lot, and it’s a match for any age, so go and provides this a strive!
- Shotover Jet Boat: That is an adrenaline-pumping exercise that was invented by New Zealand. We value those who like pace, spins, thrills mixed with water in Shotover river, with a jet boating exercise.
- Kawarau Zipride: Need to know the way it feels prefer to fly down like superman? With Kawarau’s three 130-meter ziplines, you may! Select from a solo or tandem experience to maximize the push.
Kayaking in South Island
There ‘re numerous alternatives in New Zealand, that rise with nature’s wildlife with spectacular coastal formations in subtropical waters.
A number of exceptional locations in Nelson Nationwide Park, Marlborough Sounds, Lake Tekapo, Abel Nationwide Park is amongst others!
For those who ever sighted a physique of water, search for the closest store for you and your loved ones!
Chase After Waterfalls, Rivers, Gorges & Lakes
With New Zealand’s majestic pure terrain, there’s always a stunning waterfall or lake close by. A number of the notable ones shall be.
- Lake Matheson: This lake presents awe-inspiring mirror reflections of Mt. Cook dinner (the very best mountain in New Zealand) and Mt. Tasman.
- Lake Tekapo: Situated south-west of Christchurch within the Mackenzie Basin, Lake Tekapo is a sight to behold with its milky-turquoise waters, which are backdropped by alps and delightful flora. Close by on the shores of the lake; additionally, you will discover the ‘Church of the Good Shepherd,’ which is a well-liked photograph spot for guests.
- Lake Wanaka: That is New Zealand’s 4th largest lake, and lots of people get pleasure from kayaking, jet-boating, rafting, and swimming in its clear waters. Don’t neglect to identify the well-known ‘Wanaka Tree’ that has taken the web by storm!
- Lake Pukaki: A surprising blue lake set in an alpine playground with Mt. Cook dinner included.
- Hokitika Gorge: You’ll fall in love with its fairly blue-green waters, which are surrounded by lush native bush.
- Purakaunui Falls: That is an unbelievable cascading 3-tiered waterfall on the Purakaunui River, and it’s arguably probably the most photographed waterfall in Caitlins Forest Park!
- Fantail Falls: A 23-meter waterfall that’s nestled inside Mt. Aspiring Nationwide Park alongside the Haast Freeway.
- Thunder Creek Falls: 96 meters waterfall. This waterfall can also be present in Mt. Aspiring Nationwide Park.
- Pelorus Bridge: You’ll discover a little bit of Center-earth on this spot as a result of that is genuinely the filming location within the scene of “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” when the dwarves had been floating in barrels down a river.
Cycling in South Island New Zealand
South island Newzealand has a few of the world’s most fulfilling trails akin to.
- Queen Charlotte Monitor: This monitor stretches 70 kilometers from the Meretoto Ship Cove to the Anakiwa within the Grove Arm of Queen Charlotte Sound. That is, undoubtedly, a critical Marlborough tramping (strolling) or biking expertise.
- Otago Central Rail Path: That is stated to be the path that impressed the start of the New Zealand Cycle Path community.
- Beautiful Style Path: It is a leisurely monitor that goes by Nelson, Wakefield, Richmond, Motueka, and Kaiteriteri. You’ll love the wineries, boutiques, and quaint cities that the area has to supply.
- Queenstown Path: As you’d anticipate, these trial goals to focus on the perfect of Queenstown because it hyperlinks to Arrowtown and Gibbston Valley.
- Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Path: That is New Zealand’s longest cycle path at 306km because it begins from the foot of Mt. Cooke and ending up on the Pacific Ocean shores in Oamaru. You’ll definitely benefit from the rivers, glacier-carved valleys, lakes, and plains that you only be going by on this journey.
Do city/town tours and stops
Throughout your street journey, remember to have stops alongside your itinerary of things to do in New Zealand. A number of the critical locations — apart from Christchurch and Queenstown — are.
- Wanaka: A resort city well-known for its lake, ‘Wanaka Tree’, and the spread of enjoyable actions.
- Punakaiki: The city’s spotlight is its ‘Punakaiki Pancake Rocks,’ limestones which have eroded over tens of millions and now appear like pancake stacks.
- Picton: A captivating little city that’s the primary gateway between the North and South Island in addition to inlets of the Marlborough Sounds.
- Central Otago: In case you’re into wineries, this must be a space that you bear in mind. And as you bike or walkthrough, don’t neglect to strive their well-known pinot noir.
- Dunedin: That is identified for its Scottish and Maori heritage in addition to Victorian and Edwardian structure, so one of many locations you shouldn’t miss is ‘Larnach Fortress,’ the one Australasia fortress.
Try a quad bike
This may very well be the perfect enjoyable you can have on ‘mini’ 4 wheels!
With the assistance, one undergo trails in Queenstown for over 2.5 hours including panoramic views, splash puddles, fly over hills.
With the finality of the journey, you’ll sit and chill with scorching drinks from the surrounded terrain. How’s that for a strange trip?
Enjoy some glaciers and snow in South Island New Zealand
Naturally, if you would like ‘chilling’ expertise, the South Island has no scarcity of selections to supply…
- Franz Josef Glacier Heli Hike: Via this once-in-a-lifetime tour, you’ll go on an exhilarating helicopter experience and do a 3-hour hike by probably the most superior glacier’ ice structure’.
- Franz Josef Glacier Valley Stroll: That is an exercise that you will need to make when you’ve got decrease funds or if the climate turned out unhealthy (and you’ll do a heli hike).
- Fox Glacier Heli Hike: In case you moderately wish to witness the glacier to the south, this heli hike tour to Fox Glacier is a choice.
- Cardrona Alpine Resort: That is undoubtedly one of New Zealand’s hottest ski areas. Irrespective of when you’ve got no prior expertise, you may get pleasure from and discover ways to ski. In addition, there are a newbie and intermediate ranges to select from. For individuals who are superior skiers, don’t fret as a result of the resort has in-depth services and Olympic halfpipes.
Eat, eat, eat
In New Zealand definitely, you have to try these foods.
- Afghans: Crunchy chocolate cookies
- Crayfish: In case you’re from the Philippines like me, shelling out about NZ$80 may be overkill, however New Zealand fishermen satisfaction themselves when catching this, so give it a strive!
- Fish and chips: This may not be unique of New Zealand, but it surely’s an important a part of the native meals
- Hokey Pokey: A vanilla ice cream blended with caramelized sugar
- L&P (Lemon & Paeroa): It is a soft drink that’s proudly made by Kiwis. I’m not into delicate drinks however I like this for its lemony candy style
- Lamb: This meat is cheaper within the nation — in spite of everything, the sheep inhabitants are more significant than New Zealand’s human inhabitants!
- Manuka honey: You’ll discover lots of things in New Zealand blended with this, and it is smart to deliver dwelling a jar as a souvenir too
- Paua: A big sea snail that’s eaten uncooked, fried, and so forth.
- Pavlova: I’m in LOVE with this meringue dessert which has a crispy outer layer and tender inside core
- Meat or mince pie: Kiwis love their mince pies, and that is mainly a pastry full of meat and gravy
- Tuatua: Consuming this type of shellfish is believed to be a Maori custom
- Whitebait fritter: A form of omelet blended with small juvenile fish
Go mountain climbing or trekking/tramping
- Hooker Valley track: As a whole, I loved mountain climbing (or else tramping as Kiwis call it) by this observation as it provides awe-inspiring landscapes that had been backdropped by the Southern Alps and naturally, icing a cake on the final path by the wonderful Mt.Cook dinner!
- Abel Tasman Coastal Monitor: Spanning at about 60 kilometers, this spectacular path takes you through pristine seashores, dramatic rock formations, and the wildlife of Abel Tasman Nationwide Park.
- Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway: It is a 3-hour scenic hike stuffed with clifftop views and wild animals (in reality, you may sight seabirds and seals up shut!) as you cross the peninsula to South Bay. In case you don’t have three hours, there are smaller hikes or detours alongside how so that you can do.
- Milford Monitor: That is stated to be the nation’s most well-known stroll, which begins from Lake Te Anau, after which taking you through Mackinnon Go and as much as Sutherland Falls, which is New Zealand’s taller waterfall.
Climb mountains and summits of South Island New Zealand
With the South Island’s topography, it is best to reap the benefits of the marvelous summits that it has:
- Aoraki / Mt Cook dinner: As New Zealand’s highest mountain, you shouldn’t skip out on this magnificence.
When you’re additionally within the space, go and go to Mt. John Observatory to witness clear starlit skies on this planet’s largest Darkish Sky Reserve.
- Mount Alfred: Discovered on the northern finish of Lake Wakatipu, this can be a standard Four to 6-hour day hike, which begins from the carpark in Glenorchy-Routeburn Street.
- Roy’s Peak: This mountain stands between Wanaka and Glendhu Bay, and lots of guests have begun to present this place a substantial amount of consideration given the fantastic views over Lake Wanaka, Mount Aspiring/Tititea and the encircling bay that it offers from the highest. The entire path can final from 5 to six hours with about 16km return.
Go off-road with a 4×4 journey
in this 4×4 tour as you can travel throughout the rugged landscapes, dust roads, and winding paths around Queenstown.
This is one of the awesome things to do in south island Newzealand.
With this tour, there may be a selection that both Skippers Canyon and Macetown’s journey can be done.
The previous takes you alongside steep roads reduce into sheer cliff faces, suspension bridges, and steep canyons.
One can get an idea about the deserted city of Macetown, some heritage sites and film areas for LOTR.
Witness the wildlife
In the south island New Zealand, you can enjoy wildlife activities at the following locations.
- Marlborough Sounds Round its terrain, and in Queen Charlotte Sound, it’s relatively typical to identify animals akin to dolphins, penguins, shags, seals, and whales of their pure atmosphere.
- Stewart Island: In case you’re into birds, this place is dwelling to the most significant and most numerous hen inhabitants within the nation. A few of these you can spot are kiwis, penguins, albatrosses, wekas, and kakas.
- Kaikoura: As I’ve beforehand talked about on this entry, this city is dwelling to a wealthy marine life, and you’ll get pleasure from several actions akin to.
- Whale Watching from an Airplane
- Whale Watching from a Boat
- Swim with Dolphins
- Dolphin Watching from a Cruise
- Albatross Watching from a Boat
So, guys thank you for reading our 1st article about the New Zealand tour. We hope and try our best to bring more and more interesting travel articles in the future. Keep in mind not to forget to read our Srilankan tour article too. Please help us by commenting and sharing this article on social media and don’t forget to share your traveling experience in our comment area.